In the businessworld, your corporate attire is dependent upon the company’s culture. Working in media, music, fashion, or advertising lends to daring trends and bolder statements. The financial and consulting worlds frown upon too much pizzazz… conservatism is key.
So how in the world can I write a fashion piece to appeal to the entire MBA world? Geesh. Originally hailing from the fashion industry, I’m here to help. It’s all about TAILORING and APPROPRIATING your attire for its setting, while allowing a bit of your personality to shine through.
Here is my take on the top ten spring finds that are easy on the wallet (have to look out for current students) ;0). (L) is for Ladies, (G) is for gents.
1. (G)- Nautical Silk Tie. Spice up your suit with a strong tie. Its woven in Italy, comes in six colors, and is conservative enough for those in IB.
2. (L)- Start off Spring with a strong pant to take you from the office to cocktails. The cotton split leg Martin pant from Banana comes in zesty spring colors. At only $78, pick more than one color to add life to your spring wardrobe.
3. (G)- Casual athletic wear. Fellas, we luv those athletic physiques. The athletic-inspired styles from Banana Republic make the cut. We really like this Rugby stripe half-zip sweater with milano stitching.
4. (L)- Handbags are always an issue when you’re toting a briefcase as well. Coach’s Transatlantic Bag in Doe comes in a great camel color that is perfect for spring. The stylish leather exterior works well with whatever attire you choose, and its wide and deep enough to carry all of your essentials.
5. (G)- Finding that one casual spring jacket is sometimes a challenge. Here’s our pick for the fellas…the Water-resistant active jacket from Banana Republic. Rain, rain, go away.
6. (G)- The Urban Driving Loafer from Banana Republic is great from work to weekend, fellas. Comes in leather or suede material, and in classic colors like dark brown and black leather, and stone suede.
7. (L)- The Natasha Mule from Ann Taylor wins hands down. Moccasin-inspired, it comes in pale blue, neutral, and black… great “business” colors for spring. The kitten heel is spunky enough for the trendier gals. And it’s less than $100.
8. (G)- Need to stock up on knits to go with your beloved khakis? Jcrew’s Crew Neck Tee comes in an array of colors and priced just right at $38 a pop. Business Casual never looked so simply good.
9. (G)- The waxed canvas messenger bag from Jcrew is a stylish, classic alternative to the ubiquitous backpack. The subdued coloring- an olive finish- is versatile and masculine.
10. (L)- The Italian stretch side-tie sweater from Banana Republic is the epitome of simple elegance. Dress it up or down.
Remember though, confidence is the key to personal style.