Sitting amidst a myriad of companies and within the lush green terrains of the Silicon Valley of India is the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore. IIM Bangalore is also known as IIM-B. This college is amongst the most sought after colleges among MBA aspirants, appearing for CAT every year.
What's in this article:
The third such institution, after IIM-A and IIM-C, to be set-up by the Indian government was developed to prepare competent persons for fulfilling the needs of the public sector in India. A few eminent figures driving the constitution of this prestigious institution of date were Mr T A Pai and N S Ramaswamy.
The institution was established in 1973, on a free-of-cost stretch of land encompassing 100 acres of real estate. The institution with a mission of building leaders through innovative education still remains a dream destination for many management education aspirants across the globe. The recent rankings and felicitations add-on to the repertoire of the institution
- The only other institute in the country apart from IIM-A to achieve the highest possible recognition rating of 5 PALMS (signifying major international influence) by Eduniversal
- It is a member of the Graduate Management Admission Council, owner of GMAT exam along with 178 other leading business schools from 19 countries.
- As substantiated by international ranking and consulting firms, IIM-B is the 24th ranked management institute in the world.
IIM Bangalore has maintained its distinctive image of sharing and exchanging the No.1 with IIM Ahmedabad over the years across different ranking systems and ranking bodies.
A few valuable ranks on the Indian MBA education platform:
- In 2011, it was ranked #1 business school by India Today, after being ranked #2 for seven years in a row
- The BT (Business Today) B-School Rankings 2011 places IIM-B at No. 1 position
- Rank 2 in Industry Interface
- No. 3 in Infrastructure, Intellectual Capital and Overall Student Satisfaction.
Salient points from the placement report released by IIM for the batch of 2011:
- Top Recruiters: ICICI Bank (19), Deloitte Consulting (14), McKinsey & Co (12)
- Finance Profiles offered: Private Equity, Venture Capital, M&A
- Sales and Marketing profiles: Executive Assistant to the Founder, Chief of Staff
* Salary data for IIM Bangalore placements is unavailable as the institute has maintained a no-salary-disclosure policy since 2006.
The Indian Institute of Management Bangalore offers five long-duration programmes that involve a detailed, stage-wise Admissions Process. For admission to Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP):
a) The first step is to appear for the Common Admission Test (CAT) held once in a year. It is a computer-based (online) test in Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation, Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning. IIM-B uses the test as an important component in selecting students for the business administration programs.
b) The list of eligible candidates is generated based on several parameters like CAT score, past academic performance, and prior work experience among many other criteria, the composition of which usually changes every year. The shortlisted candidates are called for a Personal Interview (PI) round.
c) During the PI stage, the candidates are also supposed to write a short-note (one page) on a topic (provided by IIMB ion the spot), reflecting current political, economic and business affairs.
d) The candidates scoring high on the weighted total score (post adjustments for various state boards/universities and balancing out CGPA/percentage variations) are then selected for admission to IIM Bangalore.
a) To be eligible to apply with a GMAT score, a candidate must have resided abroad for at least 18 months in the preceding 3 years from the date of application, and should not have been in a position to appear for CAT. (The GMAT code for IIMB PGP is Q9H-KK-49)
b) A shortlist is created using the same criteria as applicable for CAT applicants in general category, which is then evaluated by a panel of faculty members on various other parameters like background and international exposure and makes a recommendation for rejection or selection for the PI round.
c) The process followed then is similar to the one followed for CAT aspirants.
Number and Division of Seats
As of now, the total number of seats for the PGP programme of IIMB is 375.
There is a special provision for Differently Abled (DA) candidates of 3% across all categories individually, which means the seats available from each category:
Disclaimer: The number of seats offered shown here is according to the last available information and is subject to changes later.
Well Known Alumni
- Dr. K. Radhakrishnan – Chairman of Indian Space Research Organization, Bangalore
- Ramanujam Sridhar – Founder and CEO, Brand Comm.
- Professor Aswath Damodaran – Finance Professor at the Stern School of Business; one of the top 12 US Business School Professors
- Arun Balakrishnan – Chairman & Managing Director, HPCL
- Ashok Sinha – Chairman & Managing Director, BPCL
- MS Zahed – Founder, Zeeman Technologies Pvt Ltd (Zeemantech)
- Vasant Tilak Naik – Managing Director, Nomura International
- N Ravi – Secretary (East), MoEA, Government of India
- Padmanabhan – Executive Director of Operations, Tata Power Co. Ltd; Director of Operations, Tata Power Trading Co. Ltd.